Application of reliable cost-effective strategy for analysis of mycotoxins in corn-based foods with HPLC-FLD after multi-toxin immunoaffinity clean-up
Keywords:mycotoxins, multi-toxin IAC, HPLC-FLD, validation
A different, reliable, and cost-effective strategy for the analysis of aflatoxins, ochratoxin A, and zearalenone in corn-based foods was proposed, including one multi-toxin immunoaffinity column (IAC) sample preparation and three different high-performance liquid chromatography fluorescence detection methods. The analytical procedures were tested and verified, keeping in mind their occurrence at trace levels in corn-based foods. With the validation of the proposed multi-toxin IAC methodology and comparison of the performance characteristics with methods using a single-toxin IAC, we confirmed the reliability of the multi-toxin IAC procedure versus the single-toxin IAC. The methods were validated by revealing satisfactory performance characteristics; for example, the obtained values of limit of detection were significantly lower than the maximum limits for all mycotoxins of concern. In addition, the recovery values were between 70.9 % and 106.1 % for all mycotoxins of interest, with precision values lower than 10.5 %.
(1) Jung, S. Y.; Choe, B. C.; Shin, G. Y.; Kim, J. H.; Chae, Y. Z., Analysis of roasted and ground grains on the Seoul (Korea) market for their contaminants of afla-toxins, ochratoxin A, and Fusarium toxins by LC-MS/MS. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2012, Vol.6 (12), 637–640.
(2) De Saeger, S.; Sibanda, L.; Van Peteghem, C., Analy-sis of zearalenone and α-zearalenol in animal feed us-ing high-performance liquid chromatography. Anal. Chim. Acta 2003, (487), 137–143.
(3) European Commission Regulation (EC) No 1881/2006 of 19 December 2006 setting maximum levels for cer-tain contaminants in foodstuffs. Off. J. Eur. Union 2006 L364, 5–54.
(4) Hu, X.; Hu, R.; Zhang, Z.; Li, P.; Zhang, Q. and Wang, M., Development of a multiple immunoaffinity col-umn for simultaneous determination of multiple my-cotoxins in feed using UPLC-MS/MS. Anal Bioanal Chem 2016, 408 (22), 6027–36.
(5) Solfrizzo, M.; Gambacorta, L.; Bibi, R.; Ciriaci, M.; Paolini, A. and Pecorelli. I., Multimycotoxin analysis by LC-MS/MS in cereal food and feed: Comparison of different approaches for extraction, purification and calibration. J. AOAC Int. 2018, Vol. 101 (3), 647–657.
(6) Wilcox, J.; Donnelly, C.; Leeman, D.; Marley, E., The use of immunoaffinity columns connected in tandem for selective and cost-effective mycotoxin clean-up prior to multi-mycotoxin liquid chromatographic-tandem mass spectrometric analysis in food. J. Chro-matogr. A 2015, 1400, 91–97.
(7) Smaoui, S.; Braïek, O. B.; Hlima H. B., Mycotoxins analysis in cereals and related foodstuffs by liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry tech-niques. J. Food Qual 2020, Vol 2020 23 pages, Article ID 888117. https://doi.org/10.1155/2020/888117.
(8) Rajakylä, E.; Laasasenaho, K.; Sakkers, P. J. Determi-nation of mycotoxins in grain by high-performance liquid chromatography and thermospray liquid chro-matography-mass spectrometry. J. Chromatogr. 1987, 384, 391–402.
(9) Lattanzio, V. M. T.; Solfrizzo, M.; Powers, S.; Viscon-ti, A., Simultaneous determination of aflatoxins, ochratoxin A and Fusarium toxins in maize by liquid chromatography/tandem mass spectrometry after mul-titoxin immunoaffinity clean-up. Rapid Commun. Mass Spectrom. 2007, 21, 3253–3261. https://doi: 10.1002/rcm.3210.
(10) Park, J.; Kim, D. H.; Moon, J. Y.; An, J. A.; Kim, Y. W.; Chung, S. H.; Lee, C., Distribution analysis of twelve mycotoxins in corn and corn-derived products by LC-MS/MS to evaluate the carry-over ratio during wet-milling. Toxins 2018, 10 (319).
(11) Ibáñez-Vea, M.; Corcuera, L. A.; Remiro, R.; Murillo-Arbizu, M. T.; González-Peñas, E.; Lizarraga, E., Vali-dation of a UHPLC-FLD method for the simultaneous quantification of aflatoxins, ochratoxin A and zeara-lenone in barley. Food Chem. 2011, 127, 351–358.
(12) Kong, W. J.; Liu, S. Y.; Qiu, F.; Xiao, X. H.; Yang, M. H., Simultaneous multi-mycotoxin determination in nutmeg by ultrasound-assisted solid-liquid extraction and immunoaffinity column clean-up coupled with liquid chromatography and on-line post-column pho-tochemical derivatization-fluorescence detection. Ana-lyst 2013, 138, 2729–2739. https://doi: 10.1039/c3an00059a.
(13) Sáez, J. M.; Medina, A.; Gimeno-Adelantado, J. V.; Mateo, R.; Jimenez, M., Comparison of different sam-ple treatments for the analysis of ochratoxin A in must, wine and bear by liquid chromatography. J. Chromatogr. A 2004, 1029, 125–133.
(14) Asghar, M. A.; Iqbal, J.; Ahmed, A.; Khan, M. A.; Shamsuddin, Z. A.; Jamil, K., Development and vali-dation of a high-performance liquid chromatography method with post-column derivatization for the detec-tion of aflatoxins in cereal and grains. Toxicol. Ind. health 2014, Vol.32 (6), 1122–1134.
(15) Trucksess, M. W.; Weaver, C. M.; Oles, C. J.; Fry Jr, F. S.; Noonan, G. O., Determination of aflatoxins B1, B2, G1 and G2 and ochratoxin A in ginseng and ginger by multitoxin immunoaffinity column clean-up and liquid chromatographic quantitation: collaborative study. J. AOAC Int. 2008, Vol. 91 (3), 142–1049.
(16) Visconti, A.; Pascale, M., Determination of zeara-lenone in corn by means of immunoaffinity clean-up and high-performance liquid chromatography with fluorescence detection. J. Chromatogr. A 1998, 815, 133–140.
(17) Leszczyńska, J.; Maslowska, J.; Owczarek, A.; Ku-charska, U., Determination of aflatoxins in food prod-ucts by the ELISA method. Czech J. Food Sci. 2001, 19, 8–12.
(18) M. Z. Zheng; J. L. Richard; J. Binder., A review of rapid methods for the analysis of Mycotoxins. Myco-pathologia 2006, 161, 261–273. https://doi 10.1007/sl 1046-006-0215-6.
(19) Muñoz-Solano, B., González-Peñas. E., Mycotoxin determination in animal feed: an LC-FLD method for simultaneous quantification of aflatoxins, ochratoxins and zearalenone in this matrix. Toxins 2020, 12, 374. https://doi: 10.3390/toxins12060374.
(20) Delaunay, N.; Combès, A.; Pichon, V., Immunoaffini-ty extraction and alternative approaches for the analy-sis of toxins in environmental, food or biological ma-trices. Toxins 2020, 12, 795.
(21) Irakli, M. N.; Skendi, A.; Papageorgiou, M. D., HPLC-DAD-FLD method for simultaneous determination of mycotoxins in wheat bran. J. Chromatogr. Sci. 2017, 1–7. https://doi: 10.1093/chromsci/bmx022.
(22) Bessaire, T.; Mujahid, C.; Mottier, P.; Desmarchelier, A., Multiple mycotoxins determination in food by LC-MS/MS: an international collaborative study. Toxins 2019, 11, 658. https://doi: 10.3390/toxins11110658.
(23) Abdallah, M. F.; Girgin, G.; Baydar, T., Mycotoxin detection in maize, commercial feed and raw dairy milk samples from Assiut city, Egypt. Vet. Sci. 2019, 6, 57. https://doi: 10.3390/vetsci6020057.
(24) European Commission Regulation (EC) No 401/2006 of 23 February 2006 laying down the methods of sampling and analysis for the official control of the levels of mycotoxins in foodstuffs. Off. J. Eur. Union L70, 2006, 12–34.
(25) European Communities, Commission Decision of 12 August 2002 implementing Council Directive 96/23/EC concerning the performance of analytical methods and the interpretation of results (2002/657/EC). Off. J. Eur. Union, 2002, L 2218–2236.
(26) EN ISO 16050:2003: Foodstuffs – determination of aflatoxin B1 and the total content of aflatoxins B1, B2, G1 and G2 in cereals, nuts and derived products – high-performance liquid chromatographic method, Eu-ropean Committee for Standardization 2003.
(27) AOAC Official Method 2000.03 Ochratoxin A in bar-ley Off. Methods Anal. AOAC Int. 2005, Natural Tox-ins chapter 49, 64–66.
(28) AO ZON PREP, R-biopharm Rhône LTD, Manufac-turer’s instructions, Production code: P112/P112B
(29) Taylor B.; Kuyatt, B. C., Guidelines for evaluating and expressing the uncertainty of NIST measurement re-sults. In: NIST Editorial Review Boards. NIST Tech. Note 1994, 1297 1–20.
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2022 Biljana Stojanovska Dimzoska, Zehra Hajrulai Musliu, Risto Uzunov, Aleksandra Angeleska, Katerina Blagoevska, Radmila Crceva Nikolovska, Gordana Ilievska, Elizabeta Dimitrieska Stojkovic
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
The authors agree to the following licence: Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International (CC BY-NC 4.0)
- Share — copy and redistribute the material in any medium or format
- Adapt — remix, transform, and build upon the material
- for any purpose, even commercially.
Under the following terms:
Attribution — You must give appropriate credit, provide a link to the license, and indicate if changes were made. You may do so in any reasonable manner, but not in any way that suggests the licensor endorses you or your use.
- NonCommercial — You may not use the material for commercial purposes.