Dodecagonal quasicrystals: Construction of 2D lattices and demonstrations using laser pointers
Keywords:Quasicrystals, Chemical demonstrations
Photographic slides of an aperiodic dodecagonal tiling were used as two-dimensional diffraction gratings to describe and demonstrate the basic properties of dodecagonal quasicrystals. This paper complements our earlier publication on Penrose (decagonal) and Ammann (octagonal) quasicrystals, where we constructed and presented the corresponding diffraction gratings.
penrose/penrose_main.html, Penrose Tilings, Kyle
Schultz (accessed October 19, 2021).
(2) Penrose, R.; The role of aesthetics in pure and applied mathematical research, Bull. Inst. Maths. Appl. 1974, 10, 266–271.
(3) Shechtman, D.; Blech, I.; Gratias, D.; Cahn, J. W. Me-tallic phase with long-range orientational order and no translational symmetry, Phys. Rev. Lett. 1984, 53, 1951–1953. https://doi.org/10.1103/PhysRevLett.53.1951
(4) Levine, D.; Steinhardt, P. J. Quasicrystals: A New Class of Ordered Structures, Phys. Rev. Lett. 1984, 53, 2477–2480. https://doi.org/10.1103/PhysRevLett.53.2477
(5) https://guides.lib.umich.edu/citation/WebofScience, Research Impact Metrics: Citation Analysis (accessed October 19, 2021).
(6) http://physics.aps.org/story/v28/st14, Nobel Prize-Discovery of Quasicrystals (Google search, accessed October 19, 2021).
(7) Ishimasa, T., Dodecagonal quasicrystals still in pro-gress, Isr. J. Chem. 2011, 51, 1216–1225.
(8) Sadoc, J.-F.; Mosseri, R., Quasicrystalline structures: examples in 2D of a new generation method. In Jarić, M. V. & Lundqvist, S. (Editors), Quasicrystals, World Scientific, Singapoore, 1990; pp 169–179.
(9) Petruševski, V. M.; Kalajdžievski, S. M.; Najdoski, M. Ž., Quasicrystals: comparison with crystals, construc-tion of 2-D lattices, and demonstrations using a laser pointer, Chem. Educator 2003, 8, 358–363.
(10) Lisensky, G. C.; Kelly, T. F.; Neu, D. R.; Ellis, A. B., The optical transform: simulating diffraction experi-ments in introductory courses, J. Chem. Educ. 1991, 68, 91–96. https://doi.org/10.1021/ed068p91
(11) Berger, R., The undecidability of the domino problem, Memoirs Amer. Math. Soc 1966, 66, pp 1–72.
(12) https://www.google.com/search?q=dodecagonal+quasi-crys-tals+diffraction+pattern&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source= univ&sa=X&ei=5R3JUoSwBIe0ywPLvoG4CA&ved=0CCIQsAQ&biw=1024&bih=367. Dodecagonal Quasi¬crystals Diffraction Pattern (accessed October 19, 2021).
(13) Conrad, M.; Krumeich, F.; Reich, C.; Harbrecht, B., Hexagonal approximants of a dodecagonal tantalum telluride – the crystal structure of Ta21Te13, Mat. Sci. Eng. 2000, 294–296, 37–40.
- 2022-07-01 (2)
- 2022-05-21 (1)
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2022 Vladimir M. Petrushevski, Sašo Kalajdžievski
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
The authors agree to the following licence: Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International (CC BY-NC 4.0)
- Share — copy and redistribute the material in any medium or format
- Adapt — remix, transform, and build upon the material
- for any purpose, even commercially.
Under the following terms:
Attribution — You must give appropriate credit, provide a link to the license, and indicate if changes were made. You may do so in any reasonable manner, but not in any way that suggests the licensor endorses you or your use.
- NonCommercial — You may not use the material for commercial purposes.